Issues since returning to work

mercredi 26 novembre 2014

Firstly, I apologise that my first post here is a cry for help, but I'm in a difficult situation, and don't know where to turn...



a little background:



i have been working for my employer for almost 12 years, I started working as 'first line' software support, but about 6 years ago I was promoted from that role to the next level of 'second line'.



until roughly three years ago, I had no issues whatsoever, no complaints against me or about my work, nothing - my work was fine and never questioned, and my job was just perfect. Unfortunately I had an email disagreement with a fast-tracked manager, and have been a marked man since...



Back on topic:



this year I took three months off sick with stress - I had originally gone to my GP about something else, but the discussion lead to other things, and I was signed off for an initial two weeks, prescribed medication for anxiety and referred to a counsellor.



During my time off, I had further visits to the GP, counsellor and was placed onto anti depressants; time away from the 'toxic environment' (as the GP described it) really opened my eyes as to how much my workplace was affecting me.



Whilst off, i had a welfare meeting with my local HR person, and oddly the regional HR manager too, during the meeting I was able to discuss the situation at work, the GP visits and whatnot. I took a letter from my GP with me to this meeting, that confirmed the environment was the issue for me - and supported a phased return to work, with the primary focus of me working from home initially. During the meeting, I made it clear that I did not require reduced hours or duties, as neither of those things had affected me - it had all been down to the environment.



roll forward to my due back to work date and my employer had made no contact regarding working from home, though I had chased them before - I didn't want more time off, so I returned to work as normal; on my return I was promised a meeting with HR (didn't happen) and had a return to work phone call with the manager mentioned above.



During the call, I was told that I would be helping to cover the first line team for 3-4 weeks, as they had a backlog of work - the environment that caused me to take time off, also claimed 50% of the team; who left as they couldn't cope with how things were. Helping to cover with a backlog was not abnormal, so I confirmed I would do this.



the 3-4 weeks passed without any contact, I decided than rather to return to my second line duties, I would carry on and await notification.... It took a further 4 weeks before I was given a meeting and told that I would be covering first line for another month!



after the extended period passed I was given a further extension, taking me to the end of October - I was told that I wasn't meeting targets set on call closures, and it was pointed out to me that other members of the first line team were; and the team leader stated (but later denied and was backed by the manager) that my position in second line should be open for them to apply for. Long story short re. me not meeting targets - my employer still expected me to pick up second line tasks, that were often longer/more in depth; so although I met and often exceeded the labor recovery target, I missed out on quick closures.



Following the comment about my job, and comments made about me being placed on lesser duties to safeguard me and the company, I asked why my GP letter and welfare meeting had been seemingly ignored; as I was able to do my second line duties. Whilst awaiting confirmation, I approached HR about the comment re. my role, to which they confirmed that they cannot put someone else into the role, without a formal process.



A week passed and no answers or contact were provided, so I sent on the comments from HR, to the team leader, stating I was worried, and if this formal process was planned? The manager seemed enraged by this, and the fact I went to HR, and I was summoned to a meeting with the team leader and the director over the manager.



The meeting took place about 5 weeks ago, and in the meeting the team leader provided statistics to indicate I was taking twice as long to complete a call, than the members of first line - this threw me, as we have never been given targets based on averages; so it wasn't until after the meeting I could fully digest the points levelled at me.



The long and short of it is that where I was still expected to carry out my second line duties, I was taking more in-depth work, which had a knock on affect to my average working time, I also had one off project work that massively skewed my figures - none of which the team leader or manager seemed to think of or look into! I requested the project work to be removed, and my average was not far off the norm then.



Since this first meeting I have literally followed to the letter, how they want me to work, my call closures and working time are bang on, and my average is on par - this leads me to the main point of this post....



Today I had the follow up meeting, it was confirmed to me that I was now meeting the targets set, targets that they decided we're the governing factor of me returning to my actual role in second line, but.... Because one of the first line team is closing more calls than me (and the other member of the team) in a shorter time, they don't believe I am up to returning to me job; and it was again suggested that this other person was the better candidate for my job.



So I guess in summary, my questions are:



Can my employer move me into a lesser role, with no formal process, and against information I and my GP provided?



Can my employer keep moving the goal posts - initially telling me to meet X and Y, then when I meet those, suddenly drop in Z?



Can my employer suddenly decide that in order to return to my role, I must 'jump through hoops' - baring in mind my promotion all those years ago was based on experience and technical ability, and never on amount of calls closed and how quickly?



Finally, a massive well done if you read all the above, and more if you understood it all :-)





Issues since returning to work

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire