Not Paid after Midnight in new job...whether we are finshed or not!

vendredi 26 décembre 2014

Hi all,



Well I only ahve a small problem compared to some of the people here, nevertheless its an annoying one for us employees..and im pretty sure an illegal practice!



Heres how it goes....I am employed on a 'Zero Hour' contract, have no complaints about this, as Im getting plenty of hours...however the company has a rule that they stop paying the employees past midnight....I have only worked 30 minutes past this cutoff point so far, but I am informed by people that have been there a while that it is possible (even quite likely) to end up working 2 or even 3 hours past midnight...all WITHOUT PAY!!



(I am in the Uk by the way)





Surely this is not allowed by law? I have already looked up as much employment law as I can find, and havent been able to find anything that covers this exactly, and can only really come to the conclusion that employees are entitled to be paid for hours that they do..no question...



Am I right in this? Is my employer, for whatever reason under paying us? (I suspect it has something to do with these hours falling under 'Night Work' and the different laws regarding this..though i cant say for sure...perhaps it has something to do with their payroll system not being capable of handling the passing of one day to another...just guesses!).



I have also asked my manager about this (I did so as soon as I heard of the practice), adn she could not say anything beyond 'thats just the way it is'. It is the same rule for her too....



The company is a huge multinational, and I am luckily very happy with the job other than this, but its a question that is really nagging me...as one of these days I may have to play the hardball and simply leave at Midnight, whether the job is done or not (people have already done this ,so I have been told...leaving the remaining team in the lurch..though I cant say I blame them at all!),



I may have to do this because I am NOT in the habit of giving my labour for free to a multi billion dollar company! As much as I like the job.





Does anyone know where myself and my fellow employees stand on this issue?



Thanks so much!



oh and in addition....this practice IS NOT contained in the 'contract' (such as it is, being zero hour...it doesnt contain much!).....and it seems an utterly unfair practice, whatever the reasons behind it.



What do you think?





Not Paid after Midnight in new job...whether we are finshed or not!

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire